Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Summer Cooking

So Summer has started. And today was 115 where I am for the first official day of Summer. That means the last thing I want to do is spend time in the kitchen with a hot oven or hot stove. Which means I pull out my Crockpots and the freezer meals I have stocked up on. Through the years we have tried many different recipes. Here are a few of the ones we love. Sorry no pictures as these meals tend to be on those quick nights and I am not thinking about pictures. If I take some I will update it again with the pictures.


CrockPot French Dip Sandwiches:
I honestly don't remember where this recipe came from. It's either Pinterest or my mom. I just know it by heart we have made it and loved it so many times. I brown the roast and start the cooker in the mornings and its done by dinner time with only about 20 mins of work total. This meal is great with a green salad or your favorite potato or macaroni salad.

Ingredients:
1 - 3-4 lb. chuck roast
Montreal Steak Seasoning
2 tsps olive oil
¼ C soy sauce
¼ C water
4 whole black peppercorns
2 C beef broth
½ tsp dried, crushed rosemary
½ tsp dried thyme
1 TBSP minced onion
2 tsp minced garlic
6-8 french rolls
6-8 slices of cheese, we like swiss

Instructions:
Remove excess fat from roast. Season all sides with Montreal Steak Seasoning (I make my own)
Brown in heavy pan with 2 tsp olive oil. Brown on both sides
Place in crock pot
Mix together soy sauce, beef broth, water, peppercorns, rosemary, thyme, garlic, onion
Pour mixture over roast.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6. Cook until tender and easy to shred.
Shred with a fork and the place on sandwich buns.
Strain remaining juice and use for dipping (if you like a thicker sauce put strained sauce in a pan and sprinkle with Wondra[magic flour] then cook till desired thickness)

Slow cooker Tater-tot Casserole:
The family loves it. I love how simple it is to make. I goes well by itself or with some fresh veggies. I found this recipe here.

Ingredients:
1 (32 oz.) bag frozen tater tots
1 (3 oz.)bag bacon pieces
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk
salt & pepper, to taste.

Instructions:
Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half of the frozen tater tots on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the bacon pieces. Now top with 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Add diced chicken on top.  Season with salt & pepper. Now add 1/3 of the bacon pieces and another 1/3 of shredded cheese. Put the rest of the frozen tater tots on top. Finish with the remaining 1/3 cheddar cheese and remaining 1/3 of bacon pieces. Pour 3/4 cup milk all over the top. Cover and cook on low about 4-6 hours.

Lemon Garlic Chicken:
We like this recipe with brown rice and fresh veggies microwave steam packs are great for this! This is one of those recipes I premake in a ziplock and just defrost and dump in the crock pot for a super simple dinner. All I have to do at the end is heat up veggies and make the rice.

Ingredients:
chicken (I use bonless skinless breasts but any boneless cut will work)
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 Tbsp. of olive oil
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pepper

Instructions:
Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray. Dump all ingredients in slow cooker. cook on low for 4-6 hours.

Easiest Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos:
Everyone here loves these. I have cooked this for years. I see similar recipes all over Pinterest. This is nothing new but seriously worth mentioning because its really yummy and even simpler to throw together. This is another make ahead defrost and dump recipe.

Ingredients:
Chicken, any mix of bonless skinless about 1lb feeds my family of 4
Your favorite Salsa ( I love Ralph's Private Selection Medium Cilantro Salsa)
1 can corn
1 can black beans(whole)
Tortillas and any taco toppings you want

Instructions:
Spray slow cooker. Dump all in slow cooker. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve as tacos or as build your own taco salads.

Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken:
This is even easier than the recipe above and can be used in so many ways, sandwiches, in a salad, by itself. We love sandwiches. This can be served with typical BBQ sides like potato salad, chips, fries, corn etc. This is another make ahead defrost and dump recipe.

Ingredients:
Chicken (Again any boneless skinless cut will work)
Your favorite bottle of BBQ sauce.
Salt/Pepper to taste

Instructions:
Spray slow cooker. Dump all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment